Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too Much TE?
I finally found an article saying what I thought I remembered about McLachlan, someone had him #2 on their TE board. NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah.

https://stripehype.com/posts/espn-analyst-identifies-bengals-pick-as-most-valuable-on-day-three-01hwmkhbksm0
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2024, 12:57 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The good news is Bengals could stash All on IR, the bad news is if they do, he can't practice until he is removed from IR.

My guess right now we will know more if All participates in training camp and preseason. If he is shelved, tough for a rookie TE to play if no camp and no practice learning the offense and getting timing with Joe B.

I am not a roster rules guru, but my understanding is that for PUP, guys have to miss 4 weeks and can start practicing after week 6. The new rules allow for 2 designations who are marked for a return. And not subject to waivers/don't have to be cut.

Seems to me would could use PUP (not IR) to stash All (and Ivey) and that they could start practicing after week 6. 

But like I said, this is not my area, and the rules are new this year, so I could have that wrong.
Reply/Quote
Oops, looks like I have that wrong.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2024/3/27/24113109/nfl-makes-significant-change-injured-reserve-rule-preseason-news

The new rule applies to IR, PUP, or NFI lists.

Practicing after 6 weeks is the NFI list, not PUP.
Reply/Quote
For me, there are never too many good TEs. Call me a dinosaur but, I loved the days of a two tight end sets for Kenny Anderson and Boomer Esiason. The following article attributes the birth of a two TE offense to the Bengals in 2013, however, I remember them using it as an option in the 80s and 90s. I still believe it is a solid option for numerous plays in today's NFL. I mean, how can you not like two players on the field (at various degrees), who can block like linemen, catch like a receiver and run like an RB?

Yes, I know all TEs are not Gronkoswski, Winslow, Newsome, Gonzalez, etc., however, IMHO, having two quality TEs on the field at one time can elevate the offensive run/pass effectiveness in certain situations.

https://www.footballperspective.com/did-bill-belichick-invent-the-two-tight-end-offense/
Reply/Quote
Imo, having three wrs that can make reasonable plays the coaches ask them 100% of the time is probably more dangerous than having a balanced offense.
Reply/Quote
But may as well have a farm for situational players.
Reply/Quote
If I remember correctly, the coaches wanted to run a version of three wide when they drafted Chase but specifically put the WR as close to the boundary as possible. You don't really need a Gronk or Kelce to do that.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2024, 10:45 PM)DYT-Flyer Wrote: If I remember correctly, the coaches wanted to run a version of three wide when they drafted Chase but specifically put the WR as close to the boundary as possible. You don't really need a Gronk or Kelce to do that.

That may have been the plan at the time, but defenses have adjusted and made it tougher to operate out of that formation, thus the changes are coming to get the offense cranking again.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2024, 10:45 PM)DYT-Flyer Wrote: If I remember correctly, the coaches wanted to run a version of three wide when they drafted Chase but specifically put the WR as close to the boundary as possible. You don't really need a Gronk or Kelce to do that.

They ran the 3 wide because we had the best WR trio in the NFL and no TE's that were worth a damn.
Reply/Quote