Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too Much TE?
(04-30-2024, 01:38 PM)BengalBob Wrote: Hudson the odd man out unless All spends the year on IR

Tanner has a 1.2 million cap hit. I think they are going to have a tough time finalizing the numbers in the WR & TE rooms. Frankly the whole roster
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 10:31 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Funny im posting this after bitching about our TEs all yr but what is the strategy here with our 5 TEs?
I cant imagine they want to put one of the drafted rookies on the Practice squad and risk another team plucking them?
I think they like keeping 3 on gameday roster so that leaves 2 for PS....maybe Tanner and (?)
Possibly All goes on IR initially?

Like cowbell, the Bengals can never have enough TEs....

All goes to IR/Pup

Hudson & McLaghlan fight it out.... Pitcher snaps a pool cue in half, tosses one half down and the one who emerges (Spoiler: McLaghlan) is the TE that stays.
Reply/Quote
Funny thing about Sample is he was on everyone's sh!t list as a complete bust, but he's proven to be as valuable as an offensive lineman . He looked like he'd put on about 30 pounds after his injury season. He probably wasn't 2nd round material, but he's stuck around to become the best blocking TE we've had for a long time.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 01:19 PM)Whatever Wrote: If the Bengals valued Joe's trust in TE's, we wouldn't be going into this year with his 4th different starting TE in 5 years.  If they don't value it for the TE1, I doubt they care too much about the TE4.

Joe got all those guys PAID!
Reply/Quote
My goodness, I've gone back and watched more Eric All tape, and this dude has some special intangibles to his game. If he is healthy, he every bit looks the part of a complete starting TE. I also love that he was an early breakout. He started balling out as soon as he hit the field as a freshman.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 04:01 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: My goodness, I've gone back and watched more  Eric All tape, and this dude has some special intangibles to his game.   If he is healthy, he every bit looks the part of a complete starting TE.   I also love that he was an early breakout.   He started balling out as soon as he hit the field as a freshman.

I like the pick more and more honestly. If he can get healthy, we might have a special TE finally. Been a bit jealous of all the teams with 
the top TE's for years. Both All and McLachlan could be special and I really like Gesicki playing in the Slot this year. Pitcher said something 
about the reason we haven't used TE's as much over the years is that the most talent was just always at WR.

Makes sense and now we actually might have a lot of talent at TE for once. Been awhile, since Eifert.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 04:01 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: My goodness, I've gone back and watched more  Eric All tape, and this dude has some special intangibles to his game.   If he is healthy, he every bit looks the part of a complete starting TE.   I also love that he was an early breakout.   He started balling out as soon as he hit the field as a freshman.

The Bengals years ago used a wasted 1st round pick on an OT who was highly rated. I believe it was pick #21. 

This pick is in round 4, a huge difference. The Bengals have no need to rush him onto the roster (he can start on IR) and not count as a roster spot. He then gets time to insure he is 100% healthy, no need to rush him back as we have 4 TE's + All. 

He may be 100% by October and another TE may be injured. Also, a guy like Tanner Hudson can go on the practice squad when All is healthy. A team can protect up to 4 of their practice squad players so they could protect Tanner and keep him.

How does a team claim a player off another teams practice squad? (Leonard Fournette) : r/NFLNoobs (reddit.com)

The league implemented a rule allowing each team to protect up to four of its practice squad players from other teams.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 02:51 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Tanner has a 1.2 million cap hit. I think they are going to have a tough time finalizing the numbers in the WR & TE rooms. Frankly the whole roster

Hudson's salary is not guaranteed this season. If All is healthy, Hudson is likely sweating...

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 10:31 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Funny im posting this after bitching about our TEs all yr but what is the strategy here with our 5 TEs?
I cant imagine they want to put one of the drafted rookies on the Practice squad and risk another team plucking them?
I think they like keeping 3 on gameday roster so that leaves 2 for PS....maybe Tanner and (?)
Possibly All goes on IR initially?

Simple to me. It was probably the best value in the draft at both selections. The bengals didn’t need a tight end as I told all u fools for months leading up to the draft and again they didn’t even think about it til day 3 lol. Gesicki is the starter bottom line. Both Hudson and sample can be replaced. And may be by both rookies who knows. But u never know one could really show out and next season we no longer have a revolving door. But this is simple. We grabbed a couple of high ceiling guys late just to kick the tires. I think they both push for the roster. But not gesicki although that’d be a great surprise and possible.
Reply/Quote
There are many options. All could start the season on the PUP list. Hudson could be sent to the PS. McLachlan could be sent to the PS. I dont see any team trying to claim Hudson or McLachlan if the Bengals were trying to get either one to the PS. If another team were to claim them, that team would need to place them on their 53 man roster and I dont see a team doing that for a 6th round pick when those other teams could have drafted him if they thought he was worth it to begin with or in Hudson's case an undersized TE that hasnt done much in his career.
Reply/Quote
Y'all are sleeping on Hudson. He led all TEs in catches at 39 despite playing in only 12 games. He has great hands and rarely drops a pass. I seriously doubt MacLachlan is going to unseat him on the roster.

1- Gisecki
2 - Hudson
3 - Sample
4 - MacLachlan (if 4 kept, PS if not)
PUP - All
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 06:27 PM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: Y'all are sleeping on Hudson. He led all TEs in catches at 39 despite playing in only 12 games. He has great hands and rarely drops a pass. I seriously doubt MacLachlan is going to unseat him on the roster.

1- Gisecki
2 - Hudson
3 - Sample
PUP - All

Hudson is really good at finding holes in Zone coverage. But McLachlan was the best route running TE in the Draft besides Brock Bowers
and also has fantastic hands and didn't drop a pass last season. It is honestly some nice competition for once. I don't know who will win 
a spot after Gesicki.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 06:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hudson is really good at finding holes in Zone coverage. But McLachlan was the best route running TE in the Draft besides Brock Bowers
and also has fantastic hands and didn't drop a pass last season. It is honestly some nice competition for once. I don't know who will win 
a spot after Gesicki.

Fair...I love his potential. I see Sample as the odd man out eventually
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 05:07 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Hudson's salary is not guaranteed this season. If All is healthy, Hudson is likely sweating...

Misread I bet he is sweating
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 06:27 PM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: Y'all are sleeping on Hudson. He led all TEs in catches at 39 despite playing in only 12 games. He has great hands and rarely drops a pass. I seriously doubt MacLachlan is going to unseat him on the roster.

1- Gisecki
2 - Hudson
3 - Sample
PUP - All

I wouldn't be so sure.  Hudson is a career PS guy, will turn 30 with a non-guaranteed small contract, and Casey was obviously frustrated with his lack of blocking during the season last year.

McLachlan would be claimed off the PS the same day he was put on it. 

Gesicki lessens the need for Hudson, McLachlan could be Gesicki's replacement in the future.  

Ali si the complete in-line TE we haven't had for ages.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 06:33 PM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: Fair...I love his potential. I see Sample as the odd man out eventually

Sample has a totally different role than all the other TEs, he seems to be a comfort blanket for Zac.  He is one of the best blocking TE's in the NFL.

Reply/Quote
This team always drafts for next season. Not this coming season, sure there’s a pick here and there to fill an immediate need but it’s not surprising we now have 5 TE’s with most of the FA’s we brought in on a one year deal. I assume E. All will be placed on the pup list to start the season. Leaving the battle of the Tanners. I really liked how Hudson performed last year. I like the Tanner we drafted too, so it’s going to be tough seeing one of them get cut or placed on the PS. I actually think Tan2 might be our best tight end at the end of the day. Not just between him and Tan1, but the best TE in the room. It’s a good problem we are in.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 08:31 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I wouldn't be so sure.  Hudson is a career PS guy, will turn 30 with a non-guaranteed small contract, and Casey was obviously frustrated with his lack of blocking during the season last year.

McLachlan would be claimed off the PS the same day he was put on it. 

Gesicki lessens the need for Hudson, McLachlan could be Gesicki's replacement in the future.  

Ali si the complete in-line TE we haven't had for ages.

Why would anyone claim McLachlan?  The guy wasn't picked until midway through the 6th round so he was not highly valued by anyone.  Now some team is going to sign him to their 53 man roster? 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 10:17 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Why would anyone claim McLachlan?  The guy wasn't picked until midway through the 6th round so he was not highly valued by anyone.  Now some team is going to sign him to their 53 man roster? 

Yes

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 10:17 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Why would anyone claim McLachlan?  The guy wasn't picked until midway through the 6th round so he was not highly valued by anyone.  Now some team is going to sign him to their 53 man roster? 

Why not? Teams sign guys that weren’t even drafted at all to their rosters all the time.

Reply/Quote