Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Welcome Amarius Mims
(04-26-2024, 01:53 AM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I am ok with this although he wasn’t one of my top choices for an OT.
Negative - His lack of starts and injuries are concerning.
Positive - he is huge but moves very well for his size. He doesn’t look like he’s 340 and it looks like he could carry another 20lbs easily (but shouldn’t).  I also liked that he showed good recognition on his film. If a guy was taking his rush inside he passed him off and picked up the guy outside pretty quickly.  
Glad they are addressing an area that has been a weakness for too long.  I just hope they got the right guy this time.

"If a guy was taking his rush inside he passed him off and picked up the guy outside pretty quickly."

Don't worry, Pollak will coach that out of him so he and the guard are both blocking the same guy and they leave a free runner.  Appearing to never have seen a stunt before 
Reply/Quote
I can see Bengals fans being disillusioned with the pick. I am seeing grades of C (NFL.com) and B- (USA Today, CBS) for the pick, versus all these A's scattered here and there. It's a high risk, high reward pick.

If he develops, Mims can lock down a tackle position for years -- a critical position for a Burrow-led team. If the naysayers turn prescient, it will be painful to add him to the list of 1st round busts. But, as someone else said, Burrow couldn't start at Ohio State and look what he became. Mims didn't get playing time (Broderick Jones ahead of him, injury), but he has unbelievable measurables and ability.

I suspect the key is whether he stays healthy or can play through pain. Ankle surgery robbed him of much of last season, then a bump on the ankle kept him out of the championship game, then a hamstring kept him out of some of the combine. A little injury luck and the Bengals could have an all-pro. It's just going to take time to see what they got.
Reply/Quote
I like the pick we haven’t had a long term answer at RT since Andre Smith and we're one tackle injury away from Cody Ford starting. Tackle is a premium position and good young tackles don’t get to free agency that often. We probably won’t be picking this high again unless Burrow is hurt. Far as the window is now crowd that’s what free agency is for. Brown, Rankins , Stone , Bell , Moss , Gesicki are all right now moves. Outside of CB anyone we drafted wouldn’t start and maybe they really like DJ Turner. It’s a delicate balance of building for the longterm and short term.
Reply/Quote
I'm good with the pick. Would be happier if Munoz and Willie Anderson said they were going to be his personal coaches.

Kind of tongue in cheek. HOF players, but no idea if they can coach, but they have an aura of greatness our O-line coach does not.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
I like the pick. With the bookends of the Browns already in place, the Bengal's had the freedom to take the OT with the most upside as opposed to the one who is the most NFL ready.

Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing them double dip at o-line and get Cooper Beebe next.

Look out for the unbalanced lines with Mim's as the 6th o-lineman.

The Jurassic line reborn!
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 08:43 AM)Destro Wrote: I'm good with the pick. Would be happier if Munoz and Willie Anderson said they were going to be his personal coaches.

Kind of tongue in cheek. HOF players, but no idea if they can coach, but they have an aura of greatness our O-line coach does not.

Wasn't Jackson Carman under Willie's wing?

I seem to recall his stamp of approval on the pick after he was drafted...
Reply/Quote
I’m good with this pick. I let it marinate overnight, read everyone’s comments, the bio, etc. Agree it could be risky. He’s not currently injured, and even i could see from the highlights package in one of these threads how gamespeed intelligent he is.
I agree there will be some pins and needles at first. Guess what? That’s the case with just about any pick past the top ten.

And we have a foundational piece for years to come if he pans out! Chins up lads!! Ok, back to bed for me….

Edit: PS. IDGAF what the squawking heads think atp.
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Welcome to the age of Amarius
Reply/Quote
My "Big Board" for 18 was:

Quinyon Mitchell
Brock Bowers
Taliese Fuaga
Olu Fashanu
Amarius Mims
Johnny Newton
Byron Murphy
JC Latham
Troy Fautanu (If the coaches believe he can stick at tackle and can transition from LT to RT).
Terrion Arnold

Other than the obvious Mitchell availability (Maybe playing for the MAC hurt him more than I thought?), the draft went just about exactly how I hoped it would.

Mims has the size and speed combination that should not exist. I don't think he has any fat on his body. "Sculpted by the Gods" kind of body. And his play reflects that, giving up 0 sacks and 0 hits, with only 6 hurries in 402 career pass blocking snaps. Now, obviously 402 snaps isn't a ton, which is why Mims is down here, but if Mims had another 5 to 10 career games under his belt at the same production, he'd be a top 10 pick guaranteed, so I see this as a bargain opportunity.

And with Newton still on the board at the beginning of the 2nd round, the Bengals have the opportunity to trade up and take him.

I don't think they will, because they're the Bengals and they covet their picks, but with 9 picks in the next 6 rounds, maybe they make an exception, cuz no way are 10 rookies making the roster.

If we could swing our comp 3rd round pick to move up to the top of the 2nd round and nab Newton, I wouldn't even care what we did for the rest of the weekend haha.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 08:52 AM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Wasn't Jackson Carman under Willie's wing?

I seem to recall his stamp of approval on the pick after he was drafted...

I thought it was one guy Willie was all about, didn't remember if it was Carman or not. But not sure any have been worthy of his love in a long time. Hence the part about I made about coaching ability. 

And I think TJ Houshmandzadeh was working with John Ross, who, by the way, is my least favorite, immediate "hate the pick" draft choice in history. 
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
I can tell you that Zac & the staff value the tape of competition versus NFL worthy competition. I asked about Anton Harrison last year and they were skittish about his lack of tape vs bonafide expected or current NFL players. Couldn’t care less about the others. They saw Mims vs Ohio State and in Georgia practices. They liked what they saw. I don’t know if Mims booms or busts. But I like the plan or thought process. He spends this year learning from Orlando and Trent Brown. I was conversing on Twitter about another first rounder being groomed once again. I say bring his rear in at guard on short yardage for Cappa or at TE. Heck fire that can’t be bad.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 08:27 AM)Nepa Wrote: I can see Bengals fans being disillusioned with the pick. I am seeing grades of C (NFL.com) and B- (USA Today, CBS) for the pick, versus all these A's scattered here and there. It's a high risk, high reward pick.

If he develops, Mims can lock down a tackle position for years -- a critical position for a Burrow-led team. If the naysayers turn prescient, it will be painful to add him to the list of 1st round busts. But, as someone else said, Burrow couldn't start at Ohio State and look what he became. Mims didn't get playing time (Broderick Jones ahead of him, injury), but he has unbelievable measurables and ability.

I suspect the key is whether he stays healthy or can play through pain. Ankle surgery robbed him of much of last season, then a bump on the ankle kept him out of the championship game, then a hamstring kept him out of some of the combine. A little injury luck and the Bengals could have an all-pro. It's just going to take time to see what they got.

Hey, that's the same grades we get almost every year,( LOL )  I do believe Cincy has one of the highest rates of drafted players  still playing somewhere in the NFL
Reply/Quote
Let me clarify that I hope the kid is a homerun and not only meets expectations but drastically exceeds them.

But I am very skeptical of this pick.

I keep reading "Trent Brown won't play the entire season because of his injury history." First off, why are we signing guys we're not confident they can make it through a season? Second, do we not understand that Mims has injury history as well? He has played a total of 8 games in college. 8!

Now lets talk about the obvious elephant in the room --- since when have the Bengals drafted and successfully developed Offensive Linemen? We've swung and missed in that department more than any team in the NFL, hence why 4 of our 5 starters on the line are from Free Agency and the 5th starter we DID draft and is drastically our worst rated linemen (via PFF). I know we have some Pollack fans on here because he says "we want glass eaters," but in terms of developing the line here he's not been successful. Period.

Of COURSE Pollack is coming out saying how amazing this pick was. We just gave him a new toy in his garage. The problem is --- it's like giving the keys to an elementary student and hoping it works out.

I love his natural tools and athleticism. I love that he came from Georgia which has been producing good NFL talent. But I have serious worries here.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 12:44 AM)Whatever Wrote: Mims might put Volson on the bench.  Depends on if they want to sit Mims completely for a year.

I kinda vision 6 offensive linemen, Brown - Mims or Brown - Mims and actually run the ball down somebodies throat, run it Joe.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 09:37 AM)ChaseThis Wrote: Now lets talk about the obvious elephant in the room --- since when have the Bengals drafted and successfully developed Offensive Linemen? We've swung and missed in that department more than any team in the NFL, hence why 4 of our 5 starters on the line are from Free Agency and the 5th starter we DID draft and is drastically our worst rated linemen (via PFF). I know we have some Pollack fans on here because he says "we want glass eaters," but in terms of developing the line here he's not been successful. Period.

We can't quit swinging. 

With trying to spread these contracts around (or theoretically trying...) they aren't going to be able to keep buying an Oline. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Duke Manyweather is Amarius Mims' private OL Coach. He is one of the best in the business.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Just for the heck of it and since I have time... I'm going to post every single OL the Bengals have drafted the last 15 years and the round they were picked.

Then I'll let you all decide how many have even ended up being CLOSE to the player we needed/expected when drafted. How about ones you would say exceeded expectations?

2011:

Round 4 - Clint Boling - G

2012:

Round 1 - Kevin Zeitler - G

2013:

Round 5 - Tanner Hawkinson - T
Round 7 - Reid Fragel - OL
Round 7 - T.J. Johnson - C

2014:

Round 4 - Russell Bodine - C

2015:

Round 1 - Cedric Ogbuehi - T
Round 2 - Jake Fisher - T

2016:

Round 5 - Christian Westerman - G

2017:

Round 5 - JJ Dielman - C

2018:

Round 1 - Billy Price - C
Round 7 - Rod Taylor - G

2019:

Round 1 - Jonah Williams - T
Round 4 - Michael Jordan - G

2020:

Round 6 - Hakeem Adenji - T

2021:

Round 2 - Jackson Carman - T
Round 4 - D"Ante Smith - T

2022:

Round 4 - Cordell Volson - G

***BOLD DENOTES 1ST ROUND PICKS***
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 09:49 AM)ChaseThis Wrote: Just for the heck of it and since I have time... I'm going to post every single OL the Bengals have drafted the last 15 years and the round they were picked.

Then I'll let you all decide how many have even ended up being CLOSE to the player we needed/expected when drafted. How about ones you would say exceeded expectations?

We all know the hit rate for the Bengals OL picks but the league as a whole is barely any better. The NFL is desperately in need of good OL which is why everyone was hyped about this draft class. I wouldn't complain if the Bengals end up with a couple more OL picks from this very deep OL class.

As for the argument against drafting OL because past failures is a bad one. Offensive Tackle is a premium position and should always be considered with a high pick because the bust rate jumps way up outside of the top 10 then again outside the 1st round.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 09:49 AM)ChaseThis Wrote: Just for the heck of it and since I have time... I'm going to post every single OL the Bengals have drafted the last 15 years and the round they were picked.

2011:

Round 4 - Clint Boling - G

2012:

Round 1 - Kevin Zeitler - G

2013:

Round 5 - Tanner Hawkinson - T
Round 7 - Reid Fragel - OL
Round 7 - T.J. Johnson - C

2014:

Round 4 - Russell Bodine - C

2015:

Round 1 - Cedric Ogbuehi - T
Round 2 - Jake Fisher - T

2016:

Round 5 - Christian Westerman - G

2017:

Round 5 - JJ Dielman - C

2018:

Round 1 - Billy Price - C
Round 7 - Rod Taylor - G

2019:

Round 1 - Jonah Williams - T
Round 4 - Michael Jordan - G

2020:

Round 6 - Hakeem Adenji - T

2021:

Round 2 - Jackson Carman - T
Round 4 - D"Ante Smith - T

2022:

Round 4 - Cordell Volson - G

***BOLD DENOTES 1ST ROUND PICKS***

Sick
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 09:37 AM)ChaseThis Wrote: Let me clarify that I hope the kid is a homerun and not only meets expectations but drastically exceeds them.

But I am very skeptical of this pick.

I keep reading "Trent Brown won't play the entire season because of his injury history." First off, why are we signing guys we're not confident they can make it through a season? Second, do we not understand that Mims has injury history as well? He has played a total of 8 games in college. 8!

Now lets talk about the obvious elephant in the room --- since when have the Bengals drafted and successfully developed Offensive Linemen? We've swung and missed in that department more than any team in the NFL, hence why 4 of our 5 starters on the line are from Free Agency and the 5th starter we DID draft and is drastically our worst rated linemen (via PFF). I know we have some Pollack fans on here because he says "we want glass eaters," but in terms of developing the line here he's not been successful. Period.

Of COURSE Pollack is coming out saying how amazing this pick was. We just gave him a new toy in his garage. The problem is --- it's like giving the keys to an elementary student and hoping it works out.

I love his natural tools and athleticism. I love that he came from Georgia which has been producing good NFL talent. But I have serious worries here.

Because taking a chance on him is better than having f'ing Jackson Carman as your starting RT
Reply/Quote