Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Tee is now the only tagged player without a new deal
Reply/Quote
No way in hell we give him a long-term deal, IMCO, and I think we're just waiting for the right offer to trade him, which hopefully it happens soon and we can at least get some value out of him.

Maybe we're waiting and hoping another team's receiver goes down before the season starts and offers us a good deal for him, but that makes me nervous.

Since we have Burton and three new tight ends, I think we can definitely afford to trade him.

We might have to take less than we'd like (unless there's a major injury), but I think we might need to just cut our losses and take what we can get.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2024, 03:31 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: No way in hell we give him a long-term deal, IMCO, and I think we're just waiting for the right offer to trade him, which hopefully it happens soon and we can at least get some value out of him.

Maybe we're waiting and hoping another team's receiver goes down before the season starts and offers us a good deal for him, but that makes me nervous.

Since we have Burton and three new tight ends, I think we can definitely afford to trade him.

We might have to take less than we'd like (unless there's a major injury), but I think we might need to just cut our losses and take what we can get.

Brad we're not trading him at this point unless it's a monster deal. At this point they are better off either signing him to a longterm deal or Tag & trade  next offseason.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2024, 03:34 PM)J24 Wrote: Brad we're not trading him at this point unless it's a monster deal. At this point they are better off either signing him to a longterm deal or Tag & trade  next offseason.

id say right now not likely as even if we had his 21 mil available   not much left to sign with it..   Like you said would have be a great deal for us.

Now much can change by the trade deadline.    but its most likely    bengals due their normal with the tag...  use it for 1 more year then move on
Reply/Quote
I think there's more to Tee than we suspect about his injuries and how the staff feels about many things and his ability to play through some injuries. I found this link pretty cool. https://www.draftsharks.com/fantasy/injury-history/tee-higgins/10607  It doesn't back up my theory. It's just a gut feeling.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The way the Bengals were acting, I thought Higgins and his agent were asking for the moon and stars (think 30M+ AAV), so I thought, "Hey, if he won't accept a 3 year, 75 million dollar contract, just tag him three times. It'll cost the Bengals 79.4 million dollars over those 3 years, but it'll at least give them a possible out after each year if he continues to be injured. Maybe that's why the Bengals aren't willing to pay him what he's worth."

The report that Higgins really only wants approximately what Michael Pittman got (3 years, 70 million dollars, 46 million guaranteed) and that the Bengals had not even approached 20 million AAV is what turned this whole fiasco into an embarrassment.

Now, maybe that report was untrue and was propaganda spread by David Mulugheta to get the NFL fan base on his side but...if that were the case, the Bengals would have been truly idiotic to not at least address the allegation.

Their silence on the matter tells me it is at least mostly true, if not 100% true.

I think the way the Bengals have handled this has been truly shameful.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2024, 03:31 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: No way in hell we give him a long-term deal, IMCO, and I think we're just waiting for the right offer to trade him, which hopefully it happens soon and we can at least get some value out of him.

Bro tee ain’t be traded. How long u been a bengals fan? U should know this. Unless someone hires hue jackson as their gm in the next 6 months he ain’t be traded.
Reply/Quote
I was just thinking we needed another Tee thread.

Reply/Quote
I feel like I've never seen every tagged player get a deal like this before. It has to be the rise in cap.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2024, 03:56 PM)CJD Wrote: The way the Bengals were acting, I thought Higgins and his agent were asking for the moon and stars (think 30M+ AAV), so I thought, "Hey, if he won't accept a 3 year, 75 million dollar contract, just tag him three times. It'll cost the Bengals 79.4 million dollars over those 3 years, but it'll at least give them a possible out after each year if he continues to be injured. Maybe that's why the Bengals aren't willing to pay him what he's worth."

The report that Higgins really only wants approximately what Michael Pittman got (3 years, 70 million dollars, 46 million guaranteed) and that the Bengals had not even approached 20 million AAV is what turned this whole fiasco into an embarrassment.

Now, maybe that report was untrue and was propaganda spread by David Mulugheta to get the NFL fan base on his side but...if that were the case, the Bengals would have been truly idiotic to not at least address the allegation.

Their silence on the matter tells me it is at least mostly true, if not 100% true.

Agree with this 100%. 

We didn't pay Bates because we had to pay Tee. We aren't paying Tee because we have to pay Chase. 

Meanwhile we sit there still with the tenth most cap space in the league (20 million) and 60 million next year (not counting this years rollover).

If you really want to get pissed off look at the numbers for 2026. We currently have 2 guys signed making more than 10 million with a projected 235 million in cap space. You're telling me the Bengals can't make that extension work? Riiiiiight. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Be curious to know what the bengals have offered. And I keep hearing about how they haven’t talked to him since March 2023 or something. Weren’t they trying to sign him last August/September?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Nugent is the only Bengal the past 25 years who was actually extended by the Bengals after being franchise tagged.

Bengals actually getting an extension on an offensive/defensive player, especially one who is expecting such a high multi-year deal, is very low chance to happen, IMO.

EDIT - Apparently Rudi was too, but that was just before I started watching NFL and wasn't on the list of FT players in Bengals history that I had looked at.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2024, 05:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Nugent is the only Bengal the past 25 years who was actually extended by the Bengals after being franchise tagged.

Bengals actually getting an extension on an offensive/defensive player, especially one who is expecting such a high multi-year deal, is very low chance to happen, IMO.

Didn't Rudi get a deal done as a tag player?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2024, 04:32 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Agree with this 100%. 

We didn't pay Bates because we had to pay Tee. We aren't paying Tee because we have to pay Chase. 

Meanwhile we sit there still with the tenth most cap space in the league (20 million) and 60 million next year (not counting this years rollover).

If you really want to get pissed off look at the numbers for 2026. We currently have 2 guys signed making more than 10 million with a projected 235 million in cap space. You're telling me the Bengals can't make that extension work? Riiiiiight. 

Plus, we didn't pay Reader. Or Bell. Or Hurst. Or a top tier IOL the last couple years. And we never spend to the cap. $10 mil in carryover. 

All-in is not in Mike's vocabulary.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2024, 05:55 PM)J24 Wrote: Didn't Rudi get a deal done as a tag player?

Yep.
Reply/Quote

I didn't really start paying attention to football until 2006 season, but I was going off this list - https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/lists/cincinnati-bengals-franchise-tag-history-2023/

If Rudi Johnson was tagged, then yea I guess him too, but still that was about 20 years ago.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2024, 03:56 PM)CJD Wrote: The way the Bengals were acting, I thought Higgins and his agent were asking for the moon and stars (think 30M+ AAV), so I thought, "Hey, if he won't accept a 3 year, 75 million dollar contract, just tag him three times. It'll cost the Bengals 79.4 million dollars over those 3 years, but it'll at least give them a possible out after each year if he continues to be injured. Maybe that's why the Bengals aren't willing to pay him what he's worth."

Not shameful at all. They never play the social media/PR game with really aggressive agents, players or others. To them they don't need to. And I agree. By not playing (especially with someone of dodgy honesty like Mulugheta) the PR game with him they effectively take that weapon out of his hands. I suspect the issue is more the 46 million guaranteed (which would all have to be put into escrow immediately) than anything else. Notice how Burrow structured his deal - there is a boatload of guaranteed money but it is not all at once. Each year a chunk becomes guaranteed which smooths out the impact. 
Reply/Quote

(05-13-2024, 06:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I didn't really start paying attention to football until 2006 season, but I was going off this list - https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/lists/cincinnati-bengals-franchise-tag-history-2023/

If Rudi Johnson was tagged, then yea I guess him too, but still that was about 20 years ago.

Rudi never played under the tag. He signed the tag Feb 15th 2005 and got extended Mar 7th 2005.

Nugent is the only Bengals who played under the franchise tag that they retained.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2024, 04:02 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Bro tee ain’t be traded. How long u been a bengals fan? U should know this. Unless someone hires hue jackson as their gm in the next 6 months he ain’t be traded.

How long you been an adult and writing complete sentences?

Or r u 2 la z 2 b botherd bi such trivialities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
No matter how you slice it
It's not a good look for the Bengals front office.
The perception that the Bengals are a "cheap"
And "frugal" franchise just got reinforced.
Reply/Quote