Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds May 2024 thread
(05-15-2024, 07:41 PM)samhain Wrote: They are bordering on unwatchable.  Actually, more like painful to watch.  

This once loaded line up looks more AAA every night.

Yep. Giving Elly a night off is the equivalent to just conceding that you'll score 1 to 2 runs at most.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2024, 07:41 PM)samhain Wrote: They are bordering on unwatchable.  Actually, more like painful to watch.  

This once loaded line up looks more AAA every night.

I haven't watched more than an inning or two in couple weeks now, I just can't.

Like you say, painful. Reminds me of a Buggs Bunny cartoon - strike 1,2,3 you're out. Strike 1,2,3 you're out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2024, 08:52 PM)CJD Wrote: Yep. Giving Elly a night off is the equivalent to just conceding that you'll score 1 to 2 runs at most.

Agree.  When half of the lineup is injured, the healthy stars need to play.  Rest is a luxury that those guys don't have right now.  I just can't with Lodolo AGAIN and India's headache.  Gimmie a freaking break.  These guys are less durable than the Bengals were last year.
Reply/Quote
About the only positive that can come out of this month-long swoon is Bell and his hitting coach getting canned. Problem is, who's gonna replace them? In-house options will just be more of the same ole same ole. Ex-Cubs manager that got unceremoniously fired for Craig Counsel? He's an ex-Reds catcher, so you KNOW he's on the short list. Girardi? If you say Showalter I may throw something sharp *in your general direction*

This team is lifeless. That starts at the top. And since Bob and Phil won't fire themselves, someone's head has got to roll, right?! Look no further than Mr. Overmanage and the hitting coach who never batted over .250 in the MiLB when he was a player.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2024, 11:42 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: About the only positive that can come out of this month-long swoon  is Bell and his hitting coach getting canned. Problem is, who's gonna replace them? In-house options will just be more of the same ole same ole. Ex-Cubs manager that got unceremoniously fired for Craig Counsel? He's an ex-Reds catcher, so you KNOW he's on the short list. Girardi? If you say Showalter I may throw something sharp *in your general direction*

This team is lifeless. That starts at the top. And since Bob and Phil won't fire themselves, someone's head has got to roll, right?! Look no further than Mr. Overmanage and the hitting coach who never batted over .250 in the MiLB when he was a player.

The only one more clueless than Dumb Bell is Nick Krall. As long as that dunce is in charge, Bell is going nowhere. There has only been one post season in MLB history where a team didn't score a run and he still has a job. The Reds have lost 100 games twice in their history and Bell was extended in the middle of the following season after losing 100 games.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2024, 11:42 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: About the only positive that can come out of this month-long swoon  is Bell and his hitting coach getting canned. Problem is, who's gonna replace them? In-house options will just be more of the same ole same ole. Ex-Cubs manager that got unceremoniously fired for Craig Counsel? He's an ex-Reds catcher, so you KNOW he's on the short list. Girardi? If you say Showalter I may throw something sharp *in your general direction*

The fight has gone completely out of them.  It's really heartbreaking to watch.  They made a reputation on never, ever quitting no matter what.  Now they look like they just want to get on the plane to the LA and get it over with.

Bell is a problem, no doubt.  He's not going anywhere IMO.  The Bell family is fairly tight with the ownership group.  If anything they will "promote" Bell to a front office position when the season ends.  I'd be absolutely shocked if they canned him mid-season, especially this early and with the injuries they've suffered.  Gonna be next to impossible to dig out of this hole though.

The record isn't necessarily a death sentence.  The lineup as currently constructed is.  Hurtibise, Cappel, and Ford being guys that are getting regular playing time alongside Espinal doesn't scream playoff contention.  

Unrelated and petty: I think Marte should pay a steep price for his stupidity with the organization.  Yeah, it's not likely, but he really hurt them with his decision making.  Would he make them that much better?  Who knows?  He's the only relevant guy missing that has a self-inflicted absence.  I really can't stand the guy at this point. I'd ship his ass out of town the second he regained an ounce of value.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2024, 05:26 PM)samhain Wrote: The fight has gone completely out of them.  It's really heartbreaking to watch.  They made a reputation on never, ever quitting no matter what.  Now they look like they just want to get on the plane to the LA and get it over with.

Bell is a problem, no doubt.  He's not going anywhere IMO.  The Bell family is fairly tight with the ownership group.  If anything they will "promote" Bell to a front office position when the season ends.  I'd be absolutely shocked if they canned him mid-season, especially this early and with the injuries they've suffered.  Gonna be next to impossible to dig out of this hole though.

The record isn't necessarily a death sentence.  The lineup as currently constructed is.  Hurtibise, Cappel, and Ford being guys that are getting regular playing time alongside Espinal doesn't scream playoff contention.  

Unrelated and petty: I think Marte should pay a steep price for his stupidity with the organization.  Yeah, it's not likely, but he really hurt them with his decision making.  Would he make them that much better?  Who knows?  He's the only relevant guy missing that has a self-inflicted absence.  I really can't stand the guy at this point.  I'd ship his ass out of town the second he regained an ounce of value.

Agree on both points. 

It's sad what this once exciting team has deteriorated to. And no it's not all Bell's fault, but IMHO his managing skills are very lacking. 

After this Dodgers series the outlook for the season is going to be pretty damn bleak, I'd say. We may get no-no'd tonight.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2024, 05:58 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree on both points. 

It's sad what this once exciting team has deteriorated to. And no it's not all Bell's fault, but IMHO his managing skills are very lacking. 

After this Dodgers series the outlook for the season is going to be pretty damn bleak, I'd say. We may get no-no'd tonight.

It could be brutal.  The May stretch was always going to be tough, but this level of failure is almost cartoonish.  

I mean, playing Murderer's Row in May has to mean for easier going for the rest of the season, right?  

Worst part is, none of the hurt guys are returning anytime soon, and there's zero quality major league offensive talent in Louisville.  if there was, Espinall and Ford would be somewhere else, and Cappel and Hurtiibise would. be in Louisville.
Reply/Quote
Suter is starting tonight. Not too optimistic about this one.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
WOW!!! What a leadoff bomb from Benson!
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Elly with 4 stolen bases (career high) and 30 on the season now. It’s May. :shocked:

Reply/Quote
Didn’t have a dominant win against the Dodgers on my bingo card.

Reply/Quote
Reds get win 19 at Dodgers. I want to see win #20. OK, Reds had an awful 1st half of May. That doesn't mean they can't have a good 2nd half of May.

Go Reds
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Baseball

Reds can't hit, can't score
Dodgers pitching had 22 straight games with 4 runs or less
Reds win 7-2

Baseball

I watched the Dodgers game feed . . . Eric Karros is a big Matt McLain fan. He called him their best player and said that his loss is the most likely the biggest reason for their poor play. He watched a lot of Reds games last year after the rookies started showing up and came away very impressed with McLain, called him the spark plug for the offense.

Nick Martinez with 5 innings of one hit, no walk pitching. That's the type of relief that this team has needed for years.

The Dodgers broadcast crew caught on to David Bell's unnecessary mid-inning pitching changes. As Bell starts walking onto the field to boos from the crowd "Noooo . . . Noooo . . . (scoffs)Nah." and then Karros laughingly added "We're working on run differential" . . . after a pause, the play by play announcer added "No . . . DB, God love ya, but . . .'' Karros laughs as the PbP announcer sighs and says ''Pitching change here on sports central" sighs again and says "We'll be back".
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I'm shocked beyond belief Shocked

Like Vinyl said - Reds stink on offense for nearly a month straight. Going up against one of the better pitchers in MLB thus far. And we're patching together a staff on the mound. And win 7-2, go figure?

Keep it up Reds
Reply/Quote
I think the baseball commissioner stepped in and told the dodger's to let Cincinnati win one. We need tv ratings the rest of the year, and nobody is going to watch if the Teds are on TV.
Reply/Quote
Lol. SEVEN runs?! Jeez guys, save some for the rest of the series!

(I think it was Ohtani bobblehead night there, what a night to get a nice win!)
Reply/Quote
4-2 last year vs LA. And now 1-0 to start this year. We won the Spring Training game this year also. We seem to be a bad match up for the Dodgers.. of all teams.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2024, 10:10 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: (I think it was Ohtani bobblehead night there, what a night to get a nice win!)

I believe it was some kind of record crowd.

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2024, 05:26 PM)samhain Wrote: The fight has gone completely out of them.  It's really heartbreaking to watch.  They made a reputation on never, ever quitting no matter what.  Now they look like they just want to get on the plane to the LA and get it over with.

It's exhausting having to do that all the time.
This is the worst part of the season travel-wise, IIRC.
10 games in a row on the west coast.
Looking at the schedule, the furthest west they travel to after this weekend will be the Rockies June 3-5.

Fingers crossed that once the temps start getting consistently into the 80s-90s and they are closer to home, the bats will get going again.
They're only 2.0 games out of the WC despite this horrible stretch, so there's hope if they can get back on track before the ASB.

EDIT - I guess though if the Reds do happen to be basically out of the running after ASB, at least the Summer Olympics are coming late July to bridge the gap until NFL Preseason gets going?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote