Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds May 2024 thread
(05-29-2024, 09:11 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: No hits through five innings. Hasn't been the first time that's happened this season, either. Imagine getting that free weekly check the current hitting coach is getting! I'm pretty envious of the turd myself!

IKR ??

They must be playing euchre or something during batting practice.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Elly for example, who was hitting at a good pace all things considered, has hit the same wall with the rest of the team.

May stats: batting .207 for the month of MAY!! He was hovering around .280-.300 at end of April. One HR in May - 1 In one of the HR friendliest ball parks in MLB. Five RBI's and an OPS of .591 with 36 strike outs.

Don't get me wrong the guy has single handedly won us games this season. And he's still very young. And I still believe he's a super star in the making.

What's baffling is he's right in the team funk with all the rest of them. Next to last team batting average in all of MLB .216 WTF
Reply/Quote
They're all taking instruction from a hitting coach who clearly has no business being around professional athletes.

Batting Practice is basically a glorified chit chat around the campfire, all they're missing is ice cold beers and an acoustic guitar.
Reply/Quote
Well. it's back to the same old same ole
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2024, 11:36 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Elly for example, who was hitting at a good pace all things considered, has hit the same wall with the rest of the team.

May stats: batting .207 for the month of MAY!! He was hovering around .280-.300 at end of April. One HR in May - 1 In one of the HR friendliest ball parks in MLB. Five RBI's and an OPS of .591 with 36 strike outs.

Don't get me wrong the guy has single handedly won us games this season. And he's still very young. And I still believe he's a super star in the making.

What's baffling is he's right in the team funk with all the rest of them. Next to last team batting average in all of MLB .216  WTF

I think this season is just one gigantic sophomore slump.

It doesn't help that half the offense has been injured as well.
Reply/Quote
Meanwhile the Brewers lose a manager to the Cubs, trade off their best pitcher, and just keep pluggin' right along like nothing ever happened. How?!
Reply/Quote
19 thousand fans today. Reds end with around 232 thousand at GABP spending money on this long holiday homestand.

Reds lose today, but Reds go 5-4 on the homestand. Reds won Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Memorial Day Monday for large crowds.

Reds can still get win 25 in May on Friday afternoon at Chicago Cubs. It's not 30, but it's a climb back from the awful first half of May.

Reds owners have to be pleased with the holiday homestand, Reds had close to a quarter of a million fans, so Reds made money and the team won more than they lost at home in GABP. So is it about making money. Yes. This is a business. A Pro team has a lot of expenses to cover. Reds lost money in 2020, 2021 and 2022, hence the top salaries they had to cut. Reds made money in 2023 and this holiday homestand helps Reds in making money in 2024. Making money instead of losing money is key to the future of Pro Baseball in Cincinnati. So Reds owners have to be happy with the long holiday homestand, and that MLB scheduled a good holiday homestand for Cincinnati, some years they don't.

Go Reds on Friday at The Cubs. I'm still hoping for at least win 25 in May. I think other months will have more wins than May. Reds played the hardest part of their schedule in May and also had many players injured. This team will get healthy and play the softer parts of the schedule. If they get win 25 Friday. they have 4 months to win an extra game each month, to make up for not getting to 30 wins in May. Reds can still get 90 wins on the season that way. They can at least try to win more than 81 and have a winning record. The hardest part of the schedule is behind them. Key players are coming off the IL. Reds getting McLain and Friedl back will help.....GO REDS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Hell of a throw by Elly to gun down the runner at home to preserve the lead.

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2024, 06:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hell of a throw by Elly to gun down the runner at home to preserve the lead.

And great job and positioning from Stephenson not blocking the basepath.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Diaz made it close but they pulled thru, somehow. Elly has got to get his strike outs under control. And 12 strike outs in the game, geezzzz
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2024, 09:13 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Elly has got to get his strike outs under control. And 12 strike outs in the game, geezzzz

He’s slumping big time right now. He did the same thing last season. Started hot and then totally cooled off.

Reply/Quote
Even after experiencing some success recently the team is still under .500 and last place. There are some fun players on this squad to watch but I wish it translated to more winning ball.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2024, 09:51 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Even after experiencing some success recently the team is still under .500 and last place. There are some fun players on this squad to watch but I wish it translated to more winning ball.

That said they are also only 3.5 games out of the last wild card spot and still very much in the postseason race. Offense has been showing signs of life and if Elly can get out of this funk he's in there should be more winning baseball to come.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
The Reds did climb from an awful first half of May, to 25 wins on the season in May. That is not 30. The first half of month eliminated reaching 30. I was hoping a bounce back of 25 or more. On the last day of May, they reached 25. The Reds rebounded to have a very good and long homestand over Memorial Days part of schedule for fans at GABP in Cincinnati.

So May ends better than it was looking. I think the Reds surprised everybody with a sweep of the Dodgers.

Besides injuries, Steer and De La Cruz did not have good offensive production in May. However you can't keep a good man down, and both look to be heating up again. If they heat up and other players, and injured players come back, Reds will have much better months ahead this season.

May was looking awful, but ended up not all that bad thanks to the end of month push.

National TV announcers during Dodgers game said Reds have players hardest part of their schedule, and still have most of their division games to make up ground.

OK, now for whoever starts a June thread. The good thing about June is I will not be keeping track of Reds Memorial Day attendance in Cincy, that thankfully is history. However my view of Moneyball is different from the Brad Pitt Oakland GM in the movie. He felt if you don't win the World Series it's a bad season. I don't think 29 teams have bad seasons. Also only 2 teams can play on Halloween, which is not Summer. So in opposition I say if a GM can give the fans something to root for Memorial Day and 4th of July, that is pretty good. That should bring in fans and make money. Even with the financial unbalance created in the 1994 baseball strike, I think small market teams have a chance to also have a good Memorial Day and 4th of July. Even if it is the richer teams who will probably be the 2 left on Halloween. By Halloween, I'm into Bengals anyway. So my view of Moneyball is Reds having a good Memorial homestand for Cincy fans was a good thing, and don't get too hung up on Halloween. Yes it would be nice to win a World Series, but Reds in their long history have won a total of 5, so there must be more to the game than that. Cubs and Red Sox fans went about 100 years without winning one, but fans of those teams loved their Red Sox and Cubbies.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Watching the Brewers trailing the White Sox 3-1 with Crochet pitching masterfully . . . then the White Sox bullpen took over in the 7th. With two outs, three straight walks before a ground ball up the middle ties the game.

I was watching a Mets broadcast a few days ago. Several teams are tied in 2nd place with 2 losses in the month of May when leading after 8 innings, meaning the closer blew the save opportunity. The Mets had 5 losses in the month of May when leading after 8 innings.

Cincy's bullpen can be shaky but has been better than recent seasons.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote