Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dan Hoard's observations from practice
(05-25-2024, 01:38 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I don't really agree here. 

I mean, I get there were some gambles in some areas. Burton's maturity. Health/availability for Mims and All. But let's not get confused, these guys were productive players at the college level. Not raw prospects who need development.

I believe Mims was the only OT with 400+ pass pro reps who didn't even allow a QB hit, much less a sack. Playing in the SEC, mind you. 

Jenkins was a captain for the national champions Michigan and is an elite run defending 3T with great strength. Right now. Yes, the pass rush needs some work. But that's what Rankins & Hill are for. 

Jackson was a captain at Texas A&M and was the #2 NT in the draft. Many thought he outperformed Sweat at the Senior Bowl. The idea he is some huge reach has not made much sense to me from jump. Thrilled to get him as a 3rd comp pick. 

Newton was a multiple year starter for a TCU team that made the title game 2 years ago. Team captain. 

All was a captain at Michigan before transfering to the TE factory at Iowa. He'd have been picked higher without the injury. 

McLachlan & Lee were certainly productive players. Burton, too.

From a football perspective, I am not sure there are a lot of risks here. These guys can play. The risks are more off field (injuries/maturity). 

Very true, on the field all these guys were productive as you say Ike.

(05-25-2024, 03:04 PM)Whatever Wrote: It's hard for me to say this is anything but a high risk draft when Jenkins is the only "safe" pick in the first 4 rounds.

Mims has had a number of relatively minor injuries that seem to keep him off the field.  Nothing that raises long term health concerns, but you have to wonder why he's always hurt and question his desire/ability to play through pain.

Burton, of course, has his maturity issues.  Nothing that really makes you think he we will be an off field problem, but things that make you question how well he will develop, chemistry with other players, how contract stuff will go, and if he will allow himself to become a distraction.

Jackson has been a team captain.  He also has a felony drug arrest and team suspension.  He's a guy that you have to worry about being an off-field distraction.

All, geez, but when I hear neck surgery, that alone scares me.  Then you throw in all the other major injuries on top of it and it seems like a long shot he will last through his rookie deal.

Depends on your definition of "safe" I guess. I guess we could of taken Fautanu over Mims if we wanted "solid".

But if it is me, I take the talent that we might never see staring at us again that early in the Draft. That is how talented Mims is. Fautanu had a
lot of comparisons to Jonah Williams actually, undersized, all technique etc.
Reply/Quote