Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Biden 2024 State of Union Speech
(03-09-2024, 08:31 AM)basballguy Wrote: Interestingly enough, this thought never crossed my mind but apparently was your first thought…which is odd because I think you’re a lady.

The gop wanted it to cross your mind so they failed at that too I guess.

[Image: Screenshot-2024-03-09-073854.png]

[Image: Screenshot-2024-03-09-073924.png]

What's funny is she is probably more qualified that he is to be a Senator but he calls her a "housewife".
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
[Image: Screenshot-2024-03-09-081230.png]
https://x.com/KevinlyFather/status/1766340834126082265?s=20
Reply/Quote
To my big surprise, the story she told was utter BS.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1766329114292842930

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
Alright, so here are my thoughts. I didn't like it. Now, don't get me wrong, I liked it as a speech and I thought it was effective and was delivered well. I do not, however, like the trend of making the SOTU into a campaign-style speech. Unfortunately, I foresee a devolution of our Congress, into more like the British Parliament with the way they have been acting the past few years and what we saw on Thursday night is just a reminder of that. If Trump wins in November, expect to see Democrats acting the same way during his speeches. Also, the SOTU is because the POTUS "shall from time to time give to the Congress information of the state of the union, and recommend to their consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient." Maybe I am an idealist, but I don't like what the speech has become.

Stepping back from that, I was happy with most of it. The GOP set the bar very low for Biden with their messaging which means he was able to easily clear it. He did a good job making his case for a second term. The MAGA loyalists aren't going to be swayed by him, but he made sure to remind people of the role they played in killing a bipartisan attempt to fix the border situation which is one of the top problems the independent-leaning voters are looking at right now. He focused on the issues those independent voters will want to hear about and said that he needs a supportive Congress to make it happen, which is at least a realistic message.

The Laken Riley flub was unfortunate, but not too bad. His use of the term "illegal" was a bigger problem which shows his age, really. His biggest liability coming out of that speech was the situation in Gaza. After the speech, he apparently shut the place down, staying around and talking to people long into the night. He also got caught in a hot mic moment which was great in regards to his age. I think he did a great job addressing all of that.

In the end, he was effective in showing that he is more in line with where the majority of the people are in this country and he did a good job on the age situation. He exceeded the very low expectations the GOP set for him.

The response was something else. I knew it wasn't going to be good when we saw from Republican members of Congress making comments about it that really implied they had seen the trial runs and it was not great. I wasn't expecting that cluster, though.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 10:13 AM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: Screenshot-2024-03-09-081230.png]
https://x.com/KevinlyFather/status/1766340834126082265?s=20

She did it on purpose. Because of reasons. Mellow
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 09:41 AM)GMDino Wrote: The gop wanted it to cross your mind so they failed at that too I guess.

[Image: Screenshot-2024-03-09-073854.png]

[Image: Screenshot-2024-03-09-073924.png]

What's funny is she is probably more qualified that he is to be a Senator but he calls her a "housewife".

Not meaning to nitpick here but 2 things:

1) it doesn’t seem like he’s implying anywhere she belongs in the kitchen
2) when did being a housewife become a negative stereotype?

Seems like manufactured outrage to rile up the liberal base. It also seems like it’s working
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
I have stated my opinion, it was a great speech if your goal is to only speak to your base and not say anything for Independents and Republicans. Democrats loved it because they felt they were at a campaign rally. Biden had more people together for that address than he did for his 2020 campaign rallies.

Will he move the needle and get Haley, Independents and never Trumpers in his corner with that speech? I say no but will closely watch the upcoming polling. He loses to Trump in every battleground state prior to the speech. Let's see if he starts polling ahead of Trump in those states. The National polling while important (Trump is also leading) mean little as winner gets the most electoral college votes.

As For Katie Britt, did she do anything to swing Democratic or Independent voters to vote for Trump? I would say her factual comments abbot Biden's dismantling Trump border policies was very effective. Liberal fake news media never covers the fact the border crisis was invented by Biden, now they know. She also spoke sincerely to the millions of people hurting due to Biden's failed economic policy. She contrasted Biden's words of he will leave no American behind, she showed he has and will in the future leave them behind because unlike Republicans, Biden does not understand. the harm he has caused Blacks, Hispanics, young people and moms due to a very bad immigration policy that is causing his Bidenomics to go deeper in the hole.

So great campaign rally only speaking to his base (substance) by Biden and great rebuttal (substance) by Britt. Biden's delivery consisted of angry Joe yelling for almost an hour so anyone criticizing Britt should see Biden delivered a poor speech, he is no Obama.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 12:48 PM)basballguy Wrote: Not meaning to nitpick here but 2 things:

1) it doesn’t seem like he’s implying anywhere she belongs in the kitchen

But it does because he's conservative!  Don't you get it?

Quote:2) when did being a housewife become a negative stereotype?  

Seems like manufactured outrage to rile up the liberal base.  It also seems like it’s working

Interesting thing about third wave feminism; woman should be free to make their own choices, as long as they make the correct choices.  Being a housewife/stay-at-home-mom is an incorrect choice because of toxic masculinity and the patriarchy.

Reply/Quote
Katie Britt achieved nothing in swaying people to her side. Once of the Democratic themes is that Republicans want to take women back 50 years and them putting her in the kitchen did nothing but emphasize that argument. As I said earlier, no one is talking about WHAT she said, it was lost in the awful presentation

The biggest negative for Biden among most people not in the MAGA camp, is his age. He combated that. Did he win over everybody, of course not, but he made inroads with the groups he needed to.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 02:27 PM)pally Wrote: Katie Britt achieved nothing in swaying people to her side.  Once of the Democratic themes is that Republicans want to take women back 50 years and them putting her in the kitchen did nothing but emphasize that argument.  As I said earlier, no one is talking about WHAT she said, it was lost in the awful presentation

The biggest negative for Biden among most people not in the MAGA camp, is his age.  He combated that.  Did he win over everybody, of course not, but he made inroads with the groups he needed to.

Biden did not convince a single person with that speech.  Nor is that the speech that would do so.  If he refuses to debate Trump, which I find likely, it will be far more convincing to undecided voters than his SOTU campaign speech in March.  eight months is an eternity in politics.  Biden cannot maintain that level of coherence, one need only watch his more daily interactions with the press to see that.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 02:59 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Biden did not convince a single person with that speech.  Nor is that the speech that would do so.  If he refuses to debate Trump, which I find likely, it will be far more convincing to undecided voters than his SOTU campaign speech in March.  eight months is an eternity in politics.  Biden cannot maintain that level of coherence, one need only watch his more daily interactions with the press to see that.

His camp decided it would be a great idea for him to make a speech the very next night. Went about as one would expect.

https://x.com/rncresearch/status/1766316171463200979?s=46&t=0fdWHkAtFeOeT5pnvxEBSA

https://x.com/rncresearch/status/1766271282549510451?s=46&t=0fdWHkAtFeOeT5pnvxEBSA

https://x.com/rncresearch/status/1766269327324397675?s=46&t=0fdWHkAtFeOeT5pnvxEBSA

https://x.com/rncresearch/status/1766268340283032016?s=46&t=0fdWHkAtFeOeT5pnvxEBSA
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 03:22 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: His camp decided it would be a great idea for him to make a speech the very next night. Went about as one would expect.

https://x.com/rncresearch/status/1766316171463200979?s=46&t=0fdWHkAtFeOeT5pnvxEBSA

https://x.com/rncresearch/status/1766271282549510451?s=46&t=0fdWHkAtFeOeT5pnvxEBSA

https://x.com/rncresearch/status/1766269327324397675?s=46&t=0fdWHkAtFeOeT5pnvxEBSA

https://x.com/rncresearch/status/1766268340283032016?s=46&t=0fdWHkAtFeOeT5pnvxEBSA

I don't know what you're talking about, he seems perfectly normal there.  Also, outright lying about the gun industry.  One has to wonder what your motivation must be when you literally state a provable lie like it's truth.  What's the agenda that makes lying so important?

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 03:22 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: His camp decided it would be a great idea for him to make a speech the very next night. Went about as one would expect.

I'm gonna need to see the entire thing for context.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 03:26 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't know what you're talking about, he seems perfectly normal there.  Also, outright lying about the gun industry.  One has to wonder what your motivation must be when you literally state a provable lie like it's truth.  What's the agenda that makes lying so important?

To be fair, I’ve been on back to back drug benders myself. Night one I was right in the slot, feeling myself, confidently yelling about shit. Night two I was a muttering incoherent disaster.

They’re gonna put old buddy through the wringer.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 03:34 PM)GMDino Wrote: I'm gonna need to see the entire thing for context.  Ninja

Eh, it’s nothing we haven’t seen from the guy 2,000 times before during his presidency. He’s fine though, keep trotting him out there. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 03:38 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Eh, it’s nothing we haven’t seen from the guy 2,000 times before during his presidency.  He’s fine though, keep trotting him out there.  ThumbsUp

Nope.  Gotta be fair.  Did he correct himself of is this trash journalism?  The people demand to know!  Cool

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 03:34 PM)GMDino Wrote: I'm gonna need to see the entire thing for context.  Ninja

Maybe this will help. Keep in mind, he was using a teleprompter and still screwed the speech up.

But I know, he is great and is the Democrats only answer to retain power. 

President Biden makes gaffes during campaign speech in Pennsylvania | Fox News

Biden drops embarrassing gaffes days after liberal media hypes SOTU performance

Biden asked Pennsylvania voters to 'send me to Congress' and made other gaffes at a campaign stop on Friday

Just one day after President Biden delivered a State of the Union address many liberals said put to rest questions about his mental fitness, the president raised eyebrows with several gaffes in Pennsylvania.

Biden visited Strath Haven Middle School in Delaware County on Friday for his first swing state campaign stop after outlining his agenda to a joint session of Congress. There, he pitched his plans for a second White House term, promising to protect abortion rights, defending his economic record and calling for new gun control laws. He also made some unforced errors in his speech, which were ridiculed by Republicans. 

"Pennsylvania, I have a message for you: Send me to Congress!" Biden shouted at one point, appearing to mix up the office he's running for. He was a six-term U.S. senator representing Delaware in Congress before he became vice president in 2008. 

Later in his remarks, Biden said, "we cut the deficit and we added more to the national debt than any president in his term in all of history, than under Donald Trump." 

At another point, Biden mistakenly referred to the Jan. 6, 2021 Capitol riots as taking place on "July 6th," and then corrected himself. 

The gaffes illustrate how Biden, 81, must continue to fight off criticisms of his age and mental fitness from Republicans as the general election heats up.

The president did earn praise from many liberals for his "energetic" State of the Union performance on Thursday. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 03:42 PM)GMDino Wrote: Nope.  Gotta be fair.  Did he correct himself of is this trash journalism?  The people demand to know!  Cool

It's a tweet from an account directed by the RNC, so it's not journalism at all, it's political messaging.  All you needed to do was see who made the tweet to figure this out.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 03:43 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Maybe this will help. Keep in mind, he was using a teleprompter and still screwed the speech up.

But I know, he is great and is the Democrats only answer to retain power. 

President Biden makes gaffes during campaign speech in Pennsylvania | Fox News

Biden drops embarrassing gaffes days after liberal media hypes SOTU performance

Biden asked Pennsylvania voters to 'send me to Congress' and made other gaffes at a campaign stop on Friday

Just one day after President Biden delivered a State of the Union address many liberals said put to rest questions about his mental fitness, the president raised eyebrows with several gaffes in Pennsylvania.

Biden visited Strath Haven Middle School in Delaware County on Friday for his first swing state campaign stop after outlining his agenda to a joint session of Congress. There, he pitched his plans for a second White House term, promising to protect abortion rights, defending his economic record and calling for new gun control laws. He also made some unforced errors in his speech, which were ridiculed by Republicans. 

"Pennsylvania, I have a message for you: Send me to Congress!" Biden shouted at one point, appearing to mix up the office he's running for. He was a six-term U.S. senator representing Delaware in Congress before he became vice president in 2008. 

Later in his remarks, Biden said, "we cut the deficit and we added more to the national debt than any president in his term in all of history, than under Donald Trump." 

At another point, Biden mistakenly referred to the Jan. 6, 2021 Capitol riots as taking place on "July 6th," and then corrected himself. 

The gaffes illustrate how Biden, 81, must continue to fight off criticisms of his age and mental fitness from Republicans as the general election heats up.

The president did earn praise from many liberals for his "energetic" State of the Union performance on Thursday. 

I did watch the video I posted.

All around where he messed up and said "we" (and that was indeed a flubbed word) instead of "he" Biden was speaking of Former President Trump.  By name.  Before and after that one slip of the tongue.
https://youtu.be/T7wHgpRR6Ts?t=959 (15:58)

"Send me the congress..."  
https://www.c-span.org/video/?534118-1/president-biden-delivers-campaign-remarks-philadelphia
https://youtu.be/T7wHgpRR6Ts?t=659 (10:59)

You guys are trying way to hard....or are just relying on text transcripts and clips with no context.
Reply/Quote
Did anyone else think no way by himself could make these 2 promises happen during the address.
1. $400 a month for home buyers (Biden needs Congress to pass this into legislation)
2. Eliminate Title Insurance

To, me these are promised he made he needs Congress to make happen and very unlikely that happens. Why promise things in a state of the union address he can't directly make happen?  The answer is simple, his record is so bad he needs to attempt to mislead voters and buy votes.

Title industry says promise of savings is false

Despite the potential savings announced, some industry stakeholders say this is a "false promise of savings," and that it will expose homebuyers, lenders and taxpayers to more risk. 

"The announcement made today by the Biden Administration approving a pilot program to waive the requirement for lender's title insurance on certain refinances in an effort to reduce closing costs for homeowners is a purely political gesture offering a false promise of savings for homeowners," said the American Land Title Association (ALTA), a trade association for the title industry. 

Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) Director Sandra Thompson said that, "closing costs represent a substantial affordability barrier to purchasing or refinancing a home." However, she also continued on to say that the waiver for title insurance would only apply for certain, more secure, refinances and would be subject to significant oversight, according to The Title Report.

1. $400 a month for home buyers
2. Eliminate Title Insurance

To, me these are promised he made he needs Congress to make happen and very unlikely that happens. Why promise things in a state of the union address he can't directly make happen?  The answer is simple, his record is so bad he needs to attempt to mislead voters and buy votes.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/biden-homebuyer-credit-state-of-the-union?dicbo=v4-5bo6qDj-1088916728

Biden wants to give homebuyers $400 per month: State of the Union
The president called for the elimination of title insurance.

Title industry says promise of savings is false
Despite the potential savings announced, some industry stakeholders say this is a "false promise of savings," and that it will expose homebuyers, lenders and taxpayers to more risk.

"The announcement made today by the Biden Administration approving a pilot program to waive the requirement for lender's title insurance on certain refinances in an effort to reduce closing costs for homeowners is a purely political gesture offering a false promise of savings for homeowners," said the American Land Title Association (ALTA), a trade association for the title industry.

Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) Director Sandra Thompson said that, "closing costs represent a substantial affordability barrier to purchasing or refinancing a home." However, she also continued on to say that the waiver for title insurance would only apply for certain, more secure, refinances and would be subject to significant oversight, according to The Title Report.

Reply/Quote